This simple dish was given to me by my mother who lives in Tuscany, Italy. Although simple, the flavours are delicious.
Ingredients for 2 people ½ packet of dry white cannellini beans (or if you don’t have time, use a tin of beans), water, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 small finely chopped onion, 1 clove of pressed garlic, handful of finely chopped sage, 50 g grated Parmesan cheese, salt & pepper to taste
- Soak beans for 12 hours in enough water that the beans are covered.
- Drain beans well and rinse off with fresh water
- Cook the beans separately, according to packet instruction but probably 45-60 minutes
- Drain off water
- Fry onion, garlic and sage on medium heat in olive oil
- Mix beans and fried mixture altogether
- Add salt & pepper to taste. Give it a good stir.
Serve with good olive oil and Parmesan cheese
Romance of this recipe: When Gina, my niece, was a child she often ate this dish after school coming home to my mother in the little village of Razzuolo in the Mugello, Tuscany. They all still live there. My mother (bis nonna) granddaughter Gina and her husband with their 2 boys.