This vegetarian starter was created by the owner of Caffé Millin & Cigar Lounge in Tulbagh. Since 15 years my best friend and my wife for 12 years.
Presentation wise, this dish is very beautiful. The flavour is out bursted by the mushrooms and the Pommery creamy sauce.
As a main course guests often chose a vegetable roasted lasagna with it.
But I have to warn you, as it is very rich, I don’t need any main course. Dessert, for example Macadamia spring rolls will do 😂
Utensils 🍴apron, cutting board, wooden spoon, 2 sauce pans, frying pan, 4 ramekins, 4 plates
Ingredients for 4 people: 1 packet of Knorr Mushroom soup, 350 ml of water, 1 cup of wild rice, 3 different types of mushrooms, 2 artichokes hearts, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 T butter1 T of Pommery mustard, 150 ml fresh cream, rosemary or a leaf of artichoke for garnish
- Mix water and the soup together in a pan
- Add rice in the pan
- Give it a stir and cook the rice for approximately 15-20 minutes. Keep stirring to prevent it from catching the bottom. After 10 minutes switch off the heat and put the lid on the pan.
- Just before all the water is evaporated, add the finely chopped mushrooms. Give it a good stir. Place the lid on the pan.
- Cut artichokes in half
- Press the garlic cloves and fry the hearts and garlic in butter until little browned
- Add mustard into a small saucepan. Add fresh cream and cook until it becomes like a gravy.
- Add rice in ramekins to crest a mould. Topple the ramekin over onto a plate and the rice will fall out into the shape of the ramekin.
- Place the artichoke on top of the rice
- Drizzle the mustard sauce over the top. It is now ready to serve.
Delicious 😋 with a Riesling
TIP Don’t panic if your mushroom rice looks like a risotto. Scoop it in a ramekin and heat it up in the microwave. Try one minute. Give it a stir. If necessary, repeat.
TIP Use fried sliced mushrooms as a garnish.
TIP Use the rest of the fried butter from the artichoke before you add the mustard sauce to the rice. This creates a moist texture.
TIP Add a few drops of truffle oil on the top
TIP In case catches the bottom tipple it over in another saucepan.
Romance of this recipe We live close to the little village of Torrelavit with a magnificent view over Montserrat. Here, I buy couscous with dried wild mushrooms and use couscous instead of wild rice