After Molly, Lee’s grandmother passed away at a very young age, when Lee’s father was only 5 years, Granddad Millin married Kay (Kathleen Jane).
Kay lived in Ceylon and it was a tradition that she made this genuine Ceylon Chicken Curry 🍛
This recipe is over 💯 years old!
I must admit that I don’t parboil the chicken as Kay did. Reason for frying the chicken, is that when frying the meat in the spices the flavours are sealed in the meat.
I think in those days one didn’t have stock cubes and made stock first and therefore boiled chicken.
Utensils 🍴apron, cutting board, kitchen knife, large saucepan, wooden spoon, rice cooker
Ingredients for 8 people 1 t of each of the following: cinnamon, ginger (instead of ginger powder I used a piece of 5cm of fresh ginger), nutmeg, mustard powder, turmeric, coriander, paprika, masala (for HOT, 1 t of chilli powder), freshly ground black pepper, dill and cumin seeds. ½ t of all-spice, 1 ½ t salt, 2 t crushed garlic, 2 sliced onions, 2 T oil (I use olive oil), 2 ½ cup of chicken stock, 4 kg potatoes, 1 kg chicken fillet (Kay used 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 2 breasts), 5 bay leaves
- Put oil into saucepan and fry onion till lightly browned
- Add garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes
- Blend the ingredients with a little of chicken stock and add this to the onion garlic mixture. Stir well that is has been mixed thoroughly.
- Add the chicken and fry until meat is sealed
- Fry a further 2-3 minutes, constantly stirring
- Now add the rest of the chicken stock.
- Cut up potatoes 🥔 and add this together with the bay leaves
- Cook on medium for 30 minutes
(Add de shelled prawns and cook for another 15 minutes)
9. Remove bay leaves (if used, remove ginger)
Serve with Basmati rice 🍚 and sambals:
1. tomato & onion & green pepper (or instead of green pepper a little fresh green chilli)
2. desiccated coconut or freshly grated coconut 🥥
3. peach chutney or
4. banana with coconut milk
TIP I add 16 de-shelled prawns 🍤 to the curry as I love the combination with chicken. And here in Spain we can get such lovely prawns that it is very easy to add to this wonderful dish.
TIP Use fresh ginger and freshly ground nutmeg
TIP Add a dash of coconut 🥥 milk
TIP Add green beans when adding potatoes 🥔
TIP Invest in a good rice cooker which will give you pleasure for many years
TIP I bought my Le Creuset pan 27 years ago and used it many times. It looks like quite an investment in the beginning but it is worthwhile.
Delicious 🥂 with Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Chardonnay, a fruity Pinot Noir or beer 🍺
Romance of this recipe: Together with Mommy’s soup and Oxtail Casserole either than Sunday roasts, these were the top dishes at the household of the Millin family