It is on this rainy ☔️ day in Ca L’Avi with thunderstorms ⛈ and lightning that I am perusing through the recipe files of my mother-in-law. I come across her recipe of Penne with Rocket and Vodka. I changed it a little as I am not fond of sugar and add more basil, chillies, garlic, cream and Vodka. One can never go wrong with adding more of these ingredients.
Utensils 🍴can opener, garlic press, wooden spoon, sauce pan, kitchen knife, pasta pan, tot, potato peeler
Ingredients for 4 people 2x 250 g cans of chopped tomatoes 🍅 45 ml olive oil, 10 fresh basil 🌿 leaves chopped, 500 g penne, 100 g rocket, 3-4 cloves garlic pressed, 4 chillies 🌶 chopped, triple tot of Vodka, 50 ml cream, salt and freshly ground black pepper, Parmesan cheese 🧀
1. Add olive oil into the saucepan. Gently fry tomatoes, basil, garlic and chillies.
2. Let simmer for 30 minutes or until reduced
3. Cook 👩🍳 penne according to package instructions
4. Add the Vodka, rocket and cream to the tomato sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes until rocket is wilted.
5. Add seasoning to taste
6. Stir in the drained penne
TIP Instead of rocket you can also use spinach
TIP Add smoked salmon when adding the Vodka
Serve with Parmesan cheese shavings
Delicious 🍸 with a lovely chilled Sauvignon Blanc
Romance of this recipe: Today, 5 February 2018 is Sausage’s 6th birthday. There is a special story of how we got our fun filled miniature Dachshund. To be continued…