Indonesian meatballs or “Smoor Java of meatballs”. This dish is from a recipe of my Mum and I used to make it a lot, as it easily freezes. There are some rainy days 🌧coming up, so I can keep stock of it in the freezer.
I love to eat it with Basmati rice 🍚and Orak Arik (recipe of my Dad), an Indonesian egg dish with green beans and carrots.
Utensils 🍴 apron, kitchen knife, cutting board, deep fryer, garlic press, 2 plates for the meatballs, deep frying pan, teaspoon (t), wooden spoon, table spoon (T), bowl, 4 deepfreeze bowls (4 portions for 2 people)
Ingredients for 8 people, 1 kilo of ground minced beef, 2 finely chopped onions, 4 cloves of pressed garlic, 2 de-skinned and chopped tomatoes, 1 can chopped tomatoes, 150 ml sweet soy sauce, 1 t white vinegar, 2 t sambal oelek (chilli salsa), 1 t dried chillies, 2 t ve-tsin (or salt), ½ t trassi (shrimp paste), 100 ml water, boiling water to take off skin from tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, 2 T olive oil
- Add salt and pepper to the minced meat and make little balls
- Fry the balls approx. 1 minute @ 180C degrees
- Fry the onions and garlic in olive oil in the frying pan
- Add the chilli salsa, dried chillies and trassi
- Add the fried meatballs
- Add all tomatoes
- Add soy sauce, vinegar and water
- Add ve-tsin, salt and pepper to taste and simmer for one hour
- Let it cool off and divide it over 4 plastic bowls.
- Put it in the freezer or leave one behind and eat this with Orak Arik (recipe to follow soon) and Basmati rice
TIP It is always better to eat them the day after cooking
Serve with Orak Arik and Basmati rice
Delicious 🥂with a fruity Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay or Riesling
Romance of this recipe: My mother cooked this in Italy for us as well when we were on holidays from South Africa