Ajam Panggang with mustard mayo lettuce and Basmati rice is a favourite childhood recipe of my sister Scarlet. Our parents always gave us a choice for our birthday dish. Mine was Foe Yong Hai. We all love Indonesian food!
apron, cutting board, kitchen knife, garlic press, bowl, fork, large (aluminium foil) roasting pan, pair of tongs, teaspoon (t), table spoon (T), rice cooker, pan for boiling eggs, match, salad bowl, salad servers
INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PEOPLE
16 chicken wings (for the longer version, please marinate the wings 24 hours before frying), 100 ml sweet thick soy sauce, ½ bottle Knorr peri peri sauce or 2 t chillies (fresh or dried), splash of lemon juice, 6 cloves of garlic, 1 t ve-tsin or a combination of salt and sugar, 100 ml water, 1 T oil, 300 g Basmati rice, 4 eggs, 250 g crunchy lettuce, 1 t Dijon mustard, 1 T of vinegar or lemon juice, 4 T Kewpie (Japanese mayonnaise) 1 t sugar, 1 pinch of salt,
PREPARATION for the longer version (marinate the wings 24 hours before use)
- On the day you have bought the chicken wings, marinate it in soy sauce, peri peri sauce (or chillies), lemon juice and garlic. You now can either freeze it and use it much later or leave it overnight to marinate well.
- When ready to use, add the ve-tsin or sugar, water and oil to the marinade and give it a stir.
- Preheat the oven at 180C. Follow now the steps of the quick version from point 3 onwards.
PREPARATION for the quick version
- Preheat the oven at 180C
- Clean and press the garlic cloves. Mix the ve-tsin or sugar, soy sauce, peri peri sauce, water, chillies, garlic, oil and lemon juice together
- Place the chicken wings with the skin facing down on the bottom of your oven dish and pour the marinade mixture evenly over the wings
- Allow to bake for 30 minutes and turn the wings with the pair of tongs and allow for another 20 – 30 minutes. Check after 20 minutes, that it doesn’t get burnt
- In the meantime, cook your Basmati rice (see recipe How to cook perfectly dry rice) and when the wings are in the oven, wash the lettuce (even if you buy pre-washed lettuce!)
- Boil the eggs for 7 minutes from boiling point. The eggs need to be hard.
- Chop the lettuce
- Mix the mustard, vinegar or lemon juice, mayo, sugar and salt. Make sure the sugar is dissolved.
- Drizzle the dressing over the lettuce and garnish with the eggs by cutting each egg by half or four.
SERVE For decoration, drizzle some sweet soy sauce over the plate. Place the Basmati rice on the plate first. Place the chicken wings on top of the rice. Place the lettuce with the eggs next to it.
DELICIOUS with a glass of ice cold water, Sauvignon Blanc or ice cold Erdinger weiss beer
TIP The aluminium foil roasting pan is easy to use and saves you on washing up
TIP To prevent an egg from cracking while boiling it, put a match in the pan. The match contains sulphur which prevents it from cracking.
TIP If you have spilt with soy sauce, you can easily get it out. See my blog Abbreviations, explanations and stains
MUSIC My father was born in Indonesia (my father is Eurasian) and he spent a lot of Dutch Winters in Indonesia. Tempo doeloe!
Romance of this recipe One of the children of friends of my parents loved it so much that she even nibbled at all the leftover bones of the Ajam Panggang